Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Season 1 Synopsis: What do I remember?


It has now been a few weeks since I have watched the Season 1 finale, and almost a year since I started this project (I’ll be faster with Season 2, I promise!). So the questions I now need to ask myself are: How does this season stack up? How much of it do I remember?

The truth is, I don’t remember very much from Season 1. In terms of the dancers, I remember Nick and Melody clearly, though with a little effort, I can dredge some of the other dancers (Ashlé, Jamile, Ryan, Destini, Blake) up from the mnemonic void. I can’t remember a single dance clearly. All I can remember is that Mary Murphy is a damned good choreographer, and needs to start choreographing again. Lauren Sanchez was an adequate host, but hiring Cat Deeley to host Season 2 was one of the smartest moves the producers ever made.

The dancing definitely gets better as the seasons go along. I wouldn’t be surprised to see any of the Top 4 show up as All Stars (Melody already did) – but their dancing while they were competing on the show was not anywhere close to the dancing we saw on Season 8. (I am reserving judgment on Season 9 until we get decently into the performance shows.)

Overall Season 1 Grade: B-
And not a solid B-, either. The kind of B- you give to a first semester freshman who’s really eager to do well, and is trying to work hard, but doesn’t have a clue what they’re doing. It’s the scholastic equivalent of giving someone a trophy for not sucking.

Next up is Season 2, which for me has always been the season SYTYCD really got going. Now it’s time to see if my memories can be trusted …

No comments:

Post a Comment